Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Sleep Deprivation and Tiny Guitars

I don't know that I am going to write everyday on this hitch, but I feel a bit like writing so here we are...I got almost no sleep last night.  It was sort of a busy production night anyway; we are in the process of drilling down through some setbacks and getting decisions made concerning how to move forward right now, so everyone out here has been working in high-gear.  I finished up right at 4am and headed back to my room, and luckily (it turns out) chose to go right to bed...fast forward to 7am and the housekeeping guy bursts into the room waking me up.  I fell back asleep...15 minutes later and here comes the laundry guy...15 minutes after that and here is the housekeeper again...then my neighbor who is a member of our security forces returned from a trip somewhere and decided to chat with someone in his room (the walls are paper-thin).  In any case, by 9am I was pretty sure that sleep wasn't going to return, but I stayed in the sack until 11am just to be sure, then went ahead and got up.  It was just a miserable way to start the day.

As a consolation, I did have some work that I could be doing to prepare for this landmark client meeting tonight, and I am getting on a blog post far earlier than usual, and I got to write in my journal, so the day certainly isn't a total wash.  Also, I was able to go and speak with the Administrative Officer regarding the room and sleeping situation, and he was able to find me a new room in the night shift trailer which will become vacant tomorrow morning, so I am moving into a quiet trailer away from the hubbub.  I also was able to get one of my Arabic-speaking crew members to write me a sign asking to please not disturb me during the day.  So, today is showing itself to be productive, if nothing else.

So, I bought a little travel guitar to bring out here, as I am really trying to finally gain some proficiency with this instrument that I have been messing around with for almost fifteen years.  It is a pretty cool little guitar, I must say. For being so small it has a pretty decent tone and a full scale length (well, ALMOST a full scale length - 24"). We will do almost anything to stay busy out here...






No comments:

Post a Comment