Sunday, January 20, 2013

Backpacking Boots and Safety Briefings...What a Fine Day

It is a bit late in the day already, and I am only just starting my daily post, so this one may be a little on the short side.  It has been a busy day, as aside from now being the only member of my department on crew, the client representative has been in for much of the day going through our weekly deliverables, and we have two VIPs from my own company here on camp today, so I have needed to give substantial time to both of them to discuss our progress and where we need to be going from here.  Otherwise, the day has been pretty nice out here...relatively quiet, beautiful clear day outside with just a light breeze, and a warm sun shining.

So, tonight many of us on crew are attending a security briefing and training being taught by our security contractor and attended by the VIPs who will there to answer questions about the company's policies and preparedness as it relates to the extreme security concerns found in many locations in this part of the world.  I suspect that the Algerian incident is prompting the discussion and forcing all of the western companies doing business in this part of the world, particularly remote field operations, to take a very hard look at security and exposure to risk.  I am, of course, well aware of the risk that I have taken on by accepting this posting, but I am hoping to hear a bit more about how our contractor and my company are managing risks on a large scale and what the business outlook is like over here in response to those increasing risks.  Regardless, my initial feelings concerning the hazards of this place remain the same; I do not feel in danger here.  UPDATE: The intelligence briefing for the region was clear...threat level is medium (as it has been).  We will be having a training and kidnapping demo (with active role-play) sometime in the middle of the next week to ensure we are prepared in case we do somehow become victims of an attack.

On a random note, I have been wearing my heavy backpacking boots almost exclusively for the last couple of months to force them to break-in after almost a year of ownership.  I had worn them a little directly after I purchased them in a sort of half-hearted attempt to break them in, but they are very hardcore so don't cooperate when asked nicely.  In any case, this is my second pair of these particular boots, the first I forced into submission nearly a decade ago now, but I had bought them just a half-size smaller than I really should have, so I could never use them to their full potential because on steep terrain my toes would bump the front coming downhill...I finally found another pair for sale in the right size, so I snatched them up.  I remembered the pain my dogs were in during that initial break-in back in 2005, and I guess it made me put off the torture with this pair.  I am mentioning it now, because, though I lost the early battles in blistering, oozing fashion, I have reached the point in the break-in period where the boots have finally molded to my feet and no longer actively hurt anymore when I walk.  My feet are finally used to them and my legs finally have re-accepted the weight of these boots (a little over six pounds per pair).  I LOVE them...they are exactly what a backpacking boot should be...hard as nails and ready for anything.  They are stable, stiff, and built to last forever (the Norwegian welt allows for resoling of the Vibram Montagna sole).  Modern-style backpacking boots are for sissies, I think...they just feel too light, too comfortable (like a running shoe), and too soft in the sole.  I am normally all about dynamic change...I am a forward thinking guy, give me the newest, lightest backpack...the sleekest, sexiest new bottle, the lightest tent on the market, but when it comes to my boots I am a conservative old bastard.  I like the waffle-stompers of yesteryear; they let you know that you are more than strolling...you are hiking, you are living purposefully (though with the really good ones you eventually want to wear them doing everything).  The design of these classic boots is near perfect with few seams, thick full-grain exterior leather, and soft as butter interior calfskin.  It is like a good down jacket...it is hard to improve upon what was already just right for the job (of course now some companies are selling Dri-Down which apparently is treated natural down which can still insulate when wet, WOW, so sometimes even a classic can be improved upon a little).  Or like my MSR XKG stove...I don't know that a stove gets better than that one...let the featherweight legions hiking in Chacos and diapers to save weight carry the tiny butane burners...I will take my heavy, clunky stove that can't be killed or fail in the woods anytime...it can burn any liquid fuel so it can be used all over the world.  As you can tell, I get a little stodgy when it comes to modern outdoors gear, seriously. Lighter isn't always better.  I don't know what got me onto this little diatribe, but  I guess you now know two more things about me...I am a fan (with some strong opinions) of backpacking, and I love my heavy anti-modern boots.

I think I am in gear-love!

I honestly don't know really what else to write about tonight...another member of the team (QC) that shares the processing trailer with mine leaves tomorrow...these crew changes are getting me down.  The Libyans on the QC and DP crew are all very enjoyable to speak with, and I have very much enjoyed getting to know them so I will miss them as they leave the crew to head home.  Of course, they are Land employees and still in training (technically I am a Marine employee), so they are on a 6 week on and 2 week off schedule, as opposed to the 5 week on and 5 week off schedule that I am on, so I will see Mohammed (the young man leaving tomorrow) again before I leave the crew this time.  It is quite hard to watch people leave (even when you understand that they have been here six weeks already) when you have to stay; it can get a bit lonely here.  There are not many native English speakers on crew, so mealtime is often the only chance that I get to really talk with people.  I guess that I sort of screwed myself today when I thought it was a good idea to look at the old pictures of the kids that I have on my external hard drive...big mistake!  Now I am just more lonely and missing home something fierce.  I did get to speak to the kids briefly yesterday and while it was exceptionally hard to hear them it was nice just to know they were at the other end of the line.

I have my meeting in just a little while, but am right now really thinking about vacation ideas for the kids for this year...if I can't be with them now, at least I can plan a fun trip for them later.  Erin and I had talked about the possibility of doing a Disney Cruise late this year or early next year with them, which I think would be really lovely for them...I haven't been on a tropical cruise before, actually I guess the closest to a cruise that I have come is a three and a half day trip on the Alaska State Marine Highway a million years ago.  If you want to talk about an epic adventure...that was one or part of one, at least!  In fact, perhaps tomorrow I will tell an old traveling tale from the past...it has been a while since I have thought about the rambling days of my youth.  Another friend thought that a trip to Maine over the summer to spend some time in Acadia National Park would be a very nice vacation for the kids...I definitely agree!  I love Maine ever since spending time there in the summers for a couple of years in my late teens...I have so many happy memories there with my friends Whiton, Janathan, and Archana.  I may hold that one for a little later in the kids' lives though, as I believe that Maine is for the contemplative...it doesn't astonish like Yosemite or Yellowstone or the Tetons or the Grand Canyon...it is man fitting in to Nature that makes New England so beautiful to me, if that makes any sense.  I am also considering perhaps just a fun little vacation to the beach down in South Padre Island or something similar (this one would be in addition to whatever large vacation we take this year.  I know that they both love the beach...

This is the Bass Harbor Head lighthouse in Acadia National Park

Sunset over a meadow and pines with Mt Cadillac in the distance - Acadia NP

Well, I am tired, and I am thinking that I might actually attempt to get off work before midnight tonight, so I think I will end this post here...I promise a longer and more exciting one tomorrow.  Interestingly, the writing has completely released my loneliness.  This blog was a great idea, I think...it lets you know what is going on here, but it helps me to feel connected to all of you out there.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment