Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Sunsets and Invertebrate Genocide

The rain ended early this morning and has been replaced by the most amazing wind storm...it must be blowing thirty or forty miles an hour out there!  The rain at least has the ground very wet, so it isn't blowing dust up into the air...also, the temperature has plummeted again.  Thank the stars for a return to the cold weather...because of the power of the wind the mosquitoes have been driven off.  All in all a better day today than the last few.  Also, I had been having some issues with my room being cleaned since switching to a night shift for work...it had been five days since the last time they had cleaned in there, and today it was done!  Everything looks up when you return to the cell at 4 or 5 am and find it clean...going in after being out for 14 - 18 hours to find it dirty and the bed unmade just really makes you feel bad about life.

I just found out that one of the other guys out here has an external hard drive full of movies, so we are getting ready to exchange some, as I have watched almost all of the ones I have on my external drive already...entertainment out here is key.  Most field operations, whether land or marine, have a large library of movies and video game consoles, but this crew doesn't have these things, so it is important to network and share.  Of course, I  have my iPad as well, so I have a load of books to work through and the latest issues of the four magazines that I read every month on there, so it isn't like I am bored in my free time.  Movies though are something that I simply love, so I am really happy to be expanding my collection.  Hopefully I can find a movie or two that I haven't seen before.

The sunset out here was marvelous today...and it looks to be a clear, cold night.  I know I said it at the beginning of the post, but I am ecstatic that it is cold again.  No more mosquitoes, no more warm afternoons, cold, just as it should be in January.

I just like the sunbeams coming from behind the clouds

It was pretty...seriously


Not a great picture


...continued 30 January 2013...

We have a client meeting tonight to discuss our progress to date on the project out here and the in-field deliverables that we are producing...I actually enjoy these meetings sometimes, as it is an opportunity to verify expectation and also an opportunity to show how much we have accomplished in a limited amount of time and with severely limited resources.

One more day in January 2013, the month has gone by pretty quickly, next month will pass even more quickly as I will be home for half the month, and I think time passes more slowly out here.  No matter how I try to fill the day it still rolls by like molasses, like molasses in January.  The mosquitoes came back out this afternoon, and they were just horrible, so the local guys sprayed some sort of toxin in the air to kill them...I am pretty sure that I lost a year or two of life as well, as this stuff just smelled like it was killing you.

This stuff that he is spraying is classified as a chemical weapon in most countries...

Killing mosquitoes, and most other life, in camp



Well, I have a very busy night ahead, so I will need to wrap it up here...our meeting has led to quite a bit of work to be done in the next few days.  I promise tomorrow to write a longer and more interesting post.

Beard check..Grizzly Adams?!


Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment